Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Geysers of Yellowstone...and the stink....

Yellowstone very much fulfilled everything that I have ever heard or seen about it - massive, geysers blowing, water smelling, animals all over, and absolutely beautiful. We saw a lot of bison, a few elk, antelope, a wolf, and a bear. I didn't get pictures of the wolf or bear, and I don't know how good by antelope pics will be, but those animals were all over the farm land.

We made it to Old Faithful about 10 minutes before it erupted - what timing. It was wonderful and of course, I took too many pictures, but I will be able to delete those I don't like. Speaking of pictures, I have pretty much filled up this disk, over 1000 pics. Just call me shutter bug, but I will be able to pick the best and trash the bad. The various geysers, basins,and lakes were all very different. Some were of different colors depending on the mineral make up - red, yellow, orange, and blue. Some were bubbling, some erupting, and some just sitting there. We visited Fire and Hot Lake - Fire is red and cool but Hot is hot. Names in the west seem to be more adjectives and fact than names - Thunder Mountain, Beak the Duck, Rhino the horse, Big Mac the horse, Fire Lake is red, Hot Lake is hot.

All in all, Yellowstone is an absolute wonderful treasure and shouldn't be missed.
The park is a combination of open rolling fields for the bison, elk, and antelope for grazing. The water from the snow pack, glaciers, and springs, is every where. The thermal areas are primarily in West Yellowstone but the animals visit them regularly. Apparently they like a steam bath and a cool breeze - just kidding but standing by some of the hot spots will give you both.

On to Oregon...

No comments: